On Friday 2nd and Saturday 3rd of September The United Nations Association of Tanzania and Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete Foundation organized the Youth Expo 2022 at the National Museum, Posta Dar-es-salaam. The Expo was attended by about 150 youths from the business sector and CSOs sector. The main aim of the Expo was to create a platform for youth to acquire understanding of the requisite skills-set necessary to establish and enhance the sustainability of youth-led businesses or youth-led organizations. Furthermore expose and link youth to opportunities and resources that will result in the promotion of better youth engagement and access to decent work.
The facilitators of the event were Miss Prudence Zoe Glorious Chief Purpose Officer PZG Impact Communication Firm, Vicencia Fuko legal Officer BRELA, Siraji Nalikame NEEC (UWEZESHAJI),Suzan Msaki – KPMG, Madam Donatha Narcis Human-centered Design Specialist, Mr.Said B.Kambi from the Insitiute of Directors Tanzania (IoDT), Victor Makere a Senior Manager of Acquiring Business at CRDB Bank and Ndibalema Rwezaura s a Business Planning Manager and a Country Strategy & Conduct Lead at Standard Chartered Bank Tanzania.
The topics discussed for the first and second day were;
- Strategic Impact Communications for Business and Youth Led Non-profit organizations
- Business formulization – Intellectual property rights
- 10% Financing opportunities available at the council level (Changes in the requirements) – Public procurement priority for youth opportunities at the Government level (Qualifications to meet the criteria of PPRA) – Financing opportunities available at PMO’s office – Fund baskets available for youth at NEEC
- Fundraising and Resource Mobilization – different approaches to grow and sustain your NGO
- -Re-evaluating our work and our model- Model canvas (Group exercise)
- Introduction to basics of corporate governance, – what does your business or organization need to have – Conflict management – Building and maintain a team – Contracts and labor laws and regulations
- Growing your business – Re-inventing your profits – Building a culture for business sustainability – Investment options in Tanzania
- Business narratives development – Keywords – Purpose statement for NGOs and value proposition for your Business. – Negotiation skills simulation: -Play talking to clients video. Followed by a negotiation simulation as per the work booklet. – Tip sharing: dialog between the young people on stakeholder management, networking, and visibility
One of the participants Lusekelo Richard Mwaikenda commented on the following;
“Youth Expo has taught him a lot of things especially to young people who have dreams of becoming an entrepreneur and businessmen have been able to find many things that will develop knowledge and skills to become prominent figures in business and Entrepreneurship”.